Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Leamington Day 1

I never really considered what it would feel like to live anywhere but my hometown, Guelph, Ontario. But in the last 24 hours, Tina and I have moved to Leamington, Ontario. It's only three hours away from home down highway 401 but it is so different from the place where I grew up.

We've moved here after receiving a call to pastor in a Mennonite church. There are no Mennonite churches in Guelph.
We moved into a farmhouse surrounded by potato fields. There are no potato fields in Guelph.
We also live 15 minutes away from a Great Lake. There are no Great Lakes in Guelph.

It's a strange land we've come to. Yesterday I watched a tractor haul maybe a tonne of tomatoes down the highway that runs past our house. I ave never in my life seen so many tomatoes. I think, maybe, I saw more tomatoes yesterday than I have seen in my last 28 years of life.

But the feeling of being out here is not quite clear. Almost everyone who knew we were moving and starting new jobs asked with wide eyes if I was excited(!) to move, to start my work as a pastor, to join a new community.

I can't say if it's excitement that's got me so introspective or making my eye twitch but it is something. Maybe it's cautious excitement. I'm cautiously excited. Excitement without the recklessness that can accompany it.

I think the best course of action is to take things one day at a time.

Today, I got my church keys and the office wifi password. I'll grab lunch and unpack some boxes, kiss my wife, and read a book. I think that's enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment